When were you first diagnosed with fibro?

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Insomnia

Well, here I am, awake at an unGodly hour. I had been falling asleep and staying asleep on most nights for the past few months. Now for the past cou[le of days, I wake up at about 3:30 am and have just enough energy to be unable to fall back to sleep but not enough to do anything useful. By the time I am able to go back to sleep it will be close to the time to get up and half the time, when this happens, I will then sleep through the alarm. It's just as if I was starting all over, like I hadn't been to sleep at all.

I follow all the advice about going to bed at the same time every night, getting up about the same time everyday and trying not to nap during the day, and that does help a bit, but at times like this, not so much. Not napping during the day can be the difficult one because by 1 pm I can barely keep my eyes open. I've even stopped taking anything for pain after 12 noon and before 5 pm so that I am too uncomfortable to sleep. If I were to fall asleep during the day, I risk not being awake to go pick the kids up from school. If I fall asleep during the day, chances are good I will sleep until the next morning. Where's the insomnia then?

Most of the sleep aids may work for a while, but then the tolerance builds up and then they might as well be sugar pills. Some of them make it even more difficult to wake up in the morning, and I don't need that!

There is an up-side to waking up this early..... Peace and quiet! Everybody else, including the pets, is still sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment